Absorbance reading for Low volume

Hello All,

We have a very limited volume of samples and its very critical. we are trying to find concentration of it but we cannot waste a lot of material. so I am wondring if anyone integrated any plate reader where the volume is very less or the samples are not wasted all all. I am looking at Lunatic and Byonoy once but just wondering if anyone know any other instrument

I have heard nothing but positive feedback about the Byonoy.

I’m happy to connect you with someone that has already integrated it into their ALH.

I suppose using very-low volume wells such as in 1536 well plates could help? Or anything to make the column of sample being measured as tall and thin as possible.

In this case its also probably important to spin down the plates following liquid transfer

Hello @luisvillaautomata ,

If you can connect me that will be great.

Thanks,
Kalpesh

Yes we are planning to centrifuge but plate type need to be 96 only. as we want to minimize transfers

This is a similar application to Tecan’s Frida reader correct? Assuming a nanodrop like device is accurate enough, then suspended a pellet into a spectrophotometer (like FRIDA) would be an option to eliminate loss.

I doubt Tecan has the only no-loss spec on the market, but I haven’t researched at all.

3 Likes

Would be awesome to have a 96 version of this so you could use the new MCA96 to more tightly control the drop

I’m pretty sure this is not integrated with anything yet and is definitely not high throughput. They may have a 96-well adapter for it, but the SoloVPE is the king of low volume/low concentration spectrometers. No dilution required. It reads by lowing a fibrette into the solution and reads at different pathlengths until it has enough data/confidence to show a linear representation of the absorbance.

Other than that, the Nanodrop and Lunatic both have 2mm pathlengths and require only 2ul of volume. They are definitely not that accurate though. I’ve hear the Nanodrop being called the Nono-drop due to how finicky replicate reads can be.

These both look amazing if they can be automatable or hamilton compatible

You can use MD spectradrop microplate.

A spectradrop plate is a fantastic idea! Still 2uL volume waste, but they have these for many different readers. MolDev has the SpectraDrop, BioTek has Take5, and all of these would be WAAAAY faster than the Frida which seems to clock in at 96samples/40min. Assuming a good cleaning protocol, I don’t see why you couldn’t recover 95% of the sample off the slide after read.

NEB has a great whitepaper on the strengths and shortcomings of spectrophometric quantification if anyone is interested: https://www.neb.com/en/-/media/nebus/files/application-notes/technote_mvs_analysis_of_nucleic_acid_concentration_and_purity.pdf?rev=c24cea043416420d84fb6bf7b554dbbb

I’ve found the Lunatic to be quiet useful in both speed, having a fixed path length and minimizing evaporation due to the “sealed” chamber. I was able to dispense into the Lunatic plates without too much difficulty with the 8 channel arm on the STAR…I’ve been using a 3uL aspirate 2.5uL dispense with good success and minimal sample loss.

@HarenArul wrote a great synopsis on the difficulties of lunatic chip dispensing if you end up going that route. Tecan specific - but I bet it translates well to other platforms.

https://forums.pylabrobot.org/t/lunatic-chip-loading-on-fluent/101/8?u=evwolfson

We use the Stunner (lunatic variant) on the Star and Vantage. The liquid class is quite simple to optimize and the labware container definition couldn’t be simpler. The API is straight forward and easy to use within Venus software. Highly recommended.

1 Like

@Kalpesh I also only heard good things about the Byonoy from users. I really love it because it’s easy to integrate. It has a SiLA 2 AND OPC-UA interface. I have the upcoming release Model of the Absorbance 96 Automate sitting on my desk right now…

1 Like

Hello All,

Thanks for all the help. It seems both of these are great options. I will reach out to both sales rep.