Activate Guided Labware Setup step in simulation

Hi all,

I remember having trouble getting the Guided Labware Setup step to work in simulation when I first installed Biomek 5 on this laptop. I got it to work somehow, but I forget how. I know the answer was something to do with installing the Biomek Method Launcher. Now I’m trying to help my colleague do the same. He’s installed Method Launcher but still isn’t able to access the Guided Setup step. Any clues?

Is the step actually missing or does it lead to validation error? If it’s missing I’d start with a reinstall/repair as I don’t recall having any issues personally with accessing that command.

The step doesn’t appear in the menu, and when my colleague imports a method that uses it, the step’s icon appears as a question mark and won’t run.

The same thing happened to me when I did a fresh install, I just can’t remember how I solved it. I’ll ask him to uninstall and reinstall everything and see if that does anything.

My colleague installed both Biomek 5 and the Method Launcher on a different computer, and the command was available. Seems like something went critically wrong with the install on his main computer - so wrong that even a standard uninstall-reinstall of both pieces of software didn’t fix it.

Yeah that’s very strange. Maybe there’s some residual files on the computer that aren’t completely removed from uninstalling that are the source of your problem.

I don’t know enough about the software to know what’s going on but reaching out to Beckman is probably your best bet.

1 Like

Looks like the problem is with the laptop, not the software. Apparently there was a corrupted DLL that was causing all sorts of weirdness. So I guess this topic is essentially useless… unless somebody was trying to get Guided Labware Setup running and didn’t realize it requires Method Launcher.

Best practice is to have the Biomek5 program installed as a virtual machine on each computer, among other safeguards. The main problem is that many of the background software installations the Biomek puts on the computer must be the only instance of that software on the computer. Otherwise, it may not function correctly if another program is using the first instance of that resource.

1 Like