Anyone use the Beckman BioRaptr

I am trying to see if anyone still uses the Beckman BioRaptr anymore? If so, Are there any limitations you run into with the instrument?

Have not used it before, but I know the guys at Let’s Go Robotics have basically taken the discontinued BioRaptrs and retrofitted it to be more modern. Maybe shoot those guys an email.

https://letsgorobotics.com/bioraptr-2-0-frd/

1 Like

This is very similar to the M24you nano dispenser, Formulatrix Mantis and UKrobotics D2. They are all really great pieces of engineering but the main limitations of use is they are bulk dispensers so you will need to clean out lines between different samples and reagents. So if you have a need to mix more than 8-10 reagents can be more hands on time.

The main advantage is speed of plate setup and the very low dead volume so ideal for very expensive or short supply samples and reagents. So large arrays of sample conditions can be screened at lower cost than standard liquid handlers with higher dead volume. They all work via a worklist input file so the programming has been standardised some what.

They are also in general lower footprint than most traditional liquid handlers so I have seen them being used in bio marker labs or formulations screening as they tend to have low sample volumes from animal studies or there is a need for wide array screening.

1 Like

If interested, We have been successful at installing the BioRaptr software on Windows 11. Feel free to reach out service@dcmbio.com

The OG BioRaptr units use Lee valves which are soft closing. Certus Flex from Gyger/FutureDrop and our D2 dispenser (UK Robotics) both use Gyger AG hard closing valve technology. These valves close using ruby against sapphire. They have a long life & high chemical compatibility. IMHO the valves are the most important starting point to consider with a dispenser. If you can trust the valves this is a great starting point! … all the rest is just software and XYZ moves basically (huge simplification but you get my point!)

1 Like

Hello, I used the BioRapter for over 10+ years. We used them for very small microtitier plate dispensing. Our lab was using 3456 well plates. we also used 1536 well plates. the well volume in a 3456 well plate is 2.1 uL max, but the working volume is 1.8uL if you use lids. a typical dispense into a 3456 well plate is 0.2 - 1uL.

we’d dispense all sorts of reagents. we even built a cell re-circulator for the BioRaptr that allows the cells to be in constant motion to a manifold and back to the bottle, then a short tube from the manifold to the valve.

Dispense volume around 0.2uL had tendencies to drift. but above that was stable.

before and after each run, just make sure to wash your lines with water, and ETOH. if using Cells, also a 10% bleach solution.

it’s personally one of my favorite bulk dispensers. let me know if you have any specific questions.

2 Likes