Channel variables for smart steps

Hi all,

Is there a way to implement channel variables in the Microlab Star Smart Steps? I know how to implement channel variables for single steps but I was curious if there’s a library or tools to do the same for smart steps. I could use single steps in the method I am currently working on but the limitation of single steps (from what I could tell) is splitting volumes. I’m using Venus 4 btw.

Any help or advice is appreciated!

Hi @Nat ,

Unfortunately, it is not possible to pass a channel pattern variable into a Smart Step, though the channels being used can be edited by checking enabled/disabled channels in the ‘Channel Settings…’ window.

You could use If/Else statements in tandem with the Smart Steps to have a variable drive which instance of the Smart Step is called, and each instance can have a different set of channels active.

Thank you,
Dan

1 Like

Hi @Nat ,

As long as you aren’t looking to do a complicated channel pattern across the plate, looping over the sequence will automatically alter the channel pattern for partial transfers. See below an example that has the controlling sequence set to 12 and includes the tip sequence within the loop. For the first loop it uses all 8 channels but the second loop only uses 4 to complete the 12 samples.

2 Likes

We have got this from our Hamilton Nordic team which might solve your problem (picture)

Either your local Hamilton support can help directly or reach out to the nordics team to get some information about this library.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you @BrandonBare_Hamilton for the explanation!

Building off of this, is there also a way to split large volume in single steps using loop? For example, I want to transfer X uL with one 1000 uL tip (or any other tip size) where X is larger than the tip capacity?

@Nat - Check the following post discussing exactly what you are looking for:

https://forums.pylabrobot.org/t/5ml-channel-asp-disp-question/1058/3?u=nickhealy_hamilton

The post links to a demo method and library function that will process volumes greater than tip/liquid class capacity and replicate into multiple transfers to that position. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks.

-Nick

1 Like

@NickHealy_Hamilton

Thank you! I will check it out!