Hamilton Verso-Q

Has anyone has experience in Hamilton Verso-Q? How does it work?

We are planning to buy one in 2024 but as far as I understand:

• Plates can be loaded manually or with automation. The plates MUST be barcoded and you can optionally barcode sample tubes if you have them in the plates. (unsure what happens if you have multiple of the same barcode stored)
  • The plates / sample tubes will immediately be stored at -20C
  • When you are ready to retrieve the samples you can prepare by performing a thaw stage inside the storage area (unsure how this works).
  • Then you retrieve the thawed plates. You can also pick samples by barcode which is pretty cool.

All in all a very simple workflow. We plan to interface with the track gripper in our Vantage. We want the system to store reagents and samples to be used later. As an example we will store 8M GnHCl, 500mM TCEP, mRNA probe, etc. and dilute to the necessary concentration before use. The solutions lab will be expected to keep the freezer full of reagents so methods can be executed as needed.

I have a library I can share tomorrow.

1 Like

We have a Verso Q20 fully operational and LIMS-integrated. In reference to BirdBare’s reply, ours does not have an intermediate thawing storage area. All of the storage modules are within a single temperature controlled environment. We use it almost exclusively for tube storage. Retrieving tubes is done by providing whatever container information you use to create a pick job, tubes are picked from ‘inventory racks’ and placed into I/O racks. The I/O racks are then held in a ‘buffer zone’ until the retrieval request is made, where the rack is move from buffer to the I/O module.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying!

How would you rate the device?
Any major grievances?
How long do the tubes racks take to thaw in the buffer zone?

Again there’s no thawing in the buffer zone in our Q20. All zones/modules are within the same temperature controlled environment.

For the limited applications we use it for (1 tube type, 2 rack types) the device is great.

Not exactly a grievance because it’s specifically configured for what you ask for upon installation, but modifying container types is not feasible from the customer side. Costs a few grand to have service do it for you.

As with any time one of these types of instruments is made open to all the lab members, there have been a few instances where lab members come up with ways to ‘break’ it. In any of these cases, very little troubleshooting effort was required to get it back up and running.

2 Likes

Very good to know! Thank you!