How to View Labware Definitions (Venus 4)

Hello,

Apologies for the surface level question, I’ve been working with Venus 4 for a few months and noticed that when choosing cLLD for aspirations, there is a “from Labware Definition” option. I do not know whether I would use this option or not, but I became curious of what the labware definition had the cLLD sensitivity set at. However, when I go to the .lay and select a position I go to Properties > View Definition I do not see anything about cLLD settings.

Is there somewhere else that labware definitions are viewable with this detail?

Thank you!

Hi @helizabeth,

The “From Labware Definition” option for cLLD in pipetting steps comes from the Labware’s Container Definition (.ctr file). The Deck Layout Editor only allows viewing of the Rack Definition (.rck) when right-clicking and selecting “View Definition”. The Rack Definition will show the Container Type, which references the Container File that can be opened in the Labware Editor:

Labware Editor can be accessed by clicking on the flask icon along the top toolbar in Method Editor:

The Container Definition will have the “Capacitive LLD” parameter available towards the end of the first window:

For some more information regarding this parameter in VENUS 4/Legacy Labware Editor, refer to this post https://forums.pylabrobot.org/t/clld-parameter-in-labware-definition/2542, and the following:

In the Legacy version of Labware Editor, there is a parameter available for the Container files which allows setting a default “Capacitive LLD” sensitivity:

It is possible to create and save a Container definition with either a 0 or 5 setting from the drop-down, however firmware only supports values 1 through 4 (Very High, High, Medium, Low; respectively). If a Container with a 0 or 5 setting is used in a method where an Aspirate/Dispense command uses the “(5) From Labware Definition” setting for “Capacitive LLD sensitivity”, an error is not generated at runtime. Instead, a 0 or 5 will automatically be converted to a 4 (“Low”) sensitivity in the given pipetting step.

This is important to keep in mind when troubleshooting Liquid Level Errors.

Thank you,
Dan

4 Likes

Hello Dan,

Thank you so much for the detailed reply!

2 Likes