Integrated microplate centrifuge: BioNex HiG or Hettich SBS300

We’re looking to build an integrated system that includes a microplate centrifuge. I’ve heard great things about the HiG, including that it out-performs the VSpin. The Hettich SBS300 is relatively new and seems promising at a much lower price point, but I haven’t heard any real-world experience for this model. Has anyone here worked with this model? Any feedback on performance, including integration?

2 Likes

What’s the max height for a labware on the SBS 300?

Max labware height is 50 mm on the SBS300 vs 61 mm on the HiG. Imbalance tolerance is 50 g vs 100 g on the HiG3 and 50 g on the HiG4.

1 Like

I guess it might depend on your need and what kind of instrument you’ll be integrating on? Do you need the extra labware height of the HiG? Seems like both are about the same for max RCF. But the 100G imbalance tolerance is a pretty big draw. Not having to constantly switch the counterbalance plate might be a big deal if you use it for many different processes.

Hettich doesn’t list the weight of the SBS 300, but the HiG is 170 pounds, pretty hefty and perhaps something to think about if you’re going to put it on a table that already has other instruments.

My only concern with Bionex is I’m not sure about long-term support. They are a small integrator that kind of picked up the V11 pieces from Agilent when they offloaded their automation business. Sure, they make their own stuff, but has anybody actually bought a Bumblebee? Their main product then is integrating PF robots with VWorks and the HiG centrifuge line. Is that sustainable long-term? I’m probably one of the few that loves VWorks, but it’s no longer in the same league as GBG and Cellario (or even Overlord and Genera).

These are legitimate questions I have, not meant to be disparaging remarks about their business.

The HiG is a top tier product but the price is a bit out of control.