Integration (3rd party)

Has anyone run into issues (timeout) integrating a Ziath 2D scanner with the Tecan Fluent and resolved them? Is there a better third party scanner that works better with the Fluent?

I’ve used the Ziath a lot and it was stable.

I did run into issues but once I standardized the older workflows, it stabilized.

In general new versions of driver framework drivers will perform better but they must also be compatible with that version of the hardware/firmware and also with your version of FC. Also make sure your cable setup is robust.

There are a wide variety of reasons why one may have issues but once sorted, it was stable enough to run pretty much 24/7.

Which driver version are you using ?
Tecan offers a “DriverFramework” version but also a simpler .exe version

They both offer (basically) the same functions - what problems are you having ?

I have multiple clients using both versions - some challenges and usual errors, maybe I’ve seen the scenario

Also curious what other devices you have integrated - seen some comms loss issues where certain wiring/interferences cause problems

Thank you to both of you for responding so quick and willing to help!

It’s good to hear that the Ziath scanner is stable, that probably means the issues I am seeing could be resolved (fingers crossed). The version of drive framework that I am using is 3.1.13 and Fluent Control 3.0. Is the simpler exe version the one that isn’t license based and can be used on any Fluent? At first we had some challenges but were able to get successful scans at times.

1. The problem that we are seeing now is occasionally it seems like if we aren’t using it for a certain period of time, it will need to initialize again. Sometimes it leads to fatal errors and then we have to restart the method. I was hoping there was a way to ping the scanner and kind of keep it active

2. It also seems like running the read command back-to-back for different plates also results in a fatal error.

(Device is in error status)

In the method design it would scan barcodes, do some pipetting, and then scan a different set of barcodes, and repeat the process however on that second scan we would run into issues

Definitely a heavily integrated setup with readers, washers and shakers. It might be maxing out the computer haha which is why I am hesitant about adding on sample tracking and might take on the tracking endeavors another way

@Optimize @luisvillaautomata

thanks for the detailed info,
curious if the system spec & computer is the issue

please reach out to me offline & we can arrange a deep dive into system logfiles to find the smoking gun for comms issues

Daniel Leach
Optimize.
Laboratory Consultants LLC
daniel.leach@optimizeyourlab.com
Mobile : 267 421 9291
Visit my website: https://www.optimizeyourlab.com/

Hi @LHRobotics Have you been able to resolve your issue? I’ve been actually running into the exact same issue with my Ziath Express + Fluent integration. I’ve extensively talked to Ziath and Fluent and still haven’t found a solution because they go in circles blaming each other. Ziath has basically told me it’s Tecan’s power control unit box is interfering with the Ziath connection (which I think is a silly excuse because why would they sell it as an integration unit). Also, I don’t have nearly as many 3rd party devices integrated on my Tecan as you do so I don’t think that’s the reason why your scanner is disconnecting.

Things I’ve tried so far (but didn’t work):

• Turned off power saving settings
  • Changed to a shielded USB cable
  • Tried RJ45 version of Ziath scanner w/USB C adapter and directly plugged into ethernet
    *Upgraded DriverFramework + FC 3.3

I’ve seen this various times
there is a sensitivity to cable shielding - i altered cable routing through the system to mitigate after switching to RJ45 version
agree that the blame game isn’t constructive but this happens all the time

happy to chat details as needed

Make sure your windows settings have USB sleep timeouts disabled. Tecan PCs often come default with this setting enabled (as do all new windows PCs). Make sure it’s set to disabled

Navigate to System and Security > Power Options > Change plan settings. Click the Change advanced power settings option. Double-click on the USB settings option and then expand USB selective suspend setting. Choose Disabled for both the On battery and Plugged in options.