Media Fill Module

Hi all! We are using Hamilton Media Fill Modules, and I would like to recover the leftover reagent from the tubes at the end of our method. However, the liquid level in the reservoirs is at a height where it is triggering the liquid level sensors, which prevents the pump from moving in either direction. Is there a way I can override the liquid level sensor check when I reverse the direction of the pumps? There does not seem to be a way to do this in the library we have to control the Media Fill Modules.

1 Like

I believe there is a modification one can make to the hsl library that would enable this functionality. Let me inquire further!

2 Likes

I also have a Hamilton media fill module and would be interested in the same modification to aid in media recovery.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Apologies for the delay, but I thought to follow up with the driver team and it turns out we just released a new driver that has this functionality included by default. Let me know if this addresses your needs!

5 Likes

Just tested this out. Works beautifully! @EricSindelar_Hamilton to the rescue once again :smiley:

Thanks again for all the help!

5 Likes

I can also confirm this worked for me. Thank you @cponsi and @EricSindelar_Hamilton !

4 Likes

Hi @EricSindelar_Hamilton, I’d like to revisit this since we have encountered an error we did not see with our previously installed version.

The system on which our Media Fill Modules are installed also has a Hamilton MFX Tip Wash unit, and there seems to be some compatibility issue with the two drivers. Whenever I create an instance of a Media Fill object (on initialize), my program fails to instantiate an object for the Tip Wash, and the same goes the other way around. This shows up in the trace as an error reading “Unhandled exception in dll or dll missing!” which is thrown when the private function “_CreateObject” in either library fails. Do you have any idea what could be causing this?

Sorry to hear about the issue. Can you provide an example test method and a trace file with the error? I can follow up internally with our driver team.

The files can be uploaded here. Password is: Hamilton23

1 Like

Thank you Eric! I have uploaded a zip file to the link you provided. It contains package and trace files for three short methods–one where the tip wash station fails, one where the media fill module fails, and one with a previous version of the media fill module driver that succeeds. Please let me know if you need anything else!

Hi @cponsi ,

Does your test methods throw an error while in simulation? Can you also confirm which versions of both drivers you have installed? Specifically, the Tip Wash driver.

Hi @BrandonBare_Hamilton,

These methods do not throw an error in simulation mode.

The Tip Wash driver version is called “HX washstation 64459-01 rev C.” The media fill driver is the one linked above.

Apologies for the delayed reply!

Hi @cponsi ,

There appears to be a newer version of the TipWash Driver which can be downloaded from the link below:

MFX TipWash Station
Password: Hamilton24

The installer has a word document with it with instructions of updating the USB driver. You will need to make sure that HX washstation 64459-01 rev C is uninstalled before installing this version.

2 Likes

Hi @BrandonBare_Hamilton! Apologies for the delayed response; priorities shift frequently in my lab and I had to focus on other projects for a while.

Thank you for providing the updated files! I attempted to uninstall the old revisions and install the new driver and library as described in the included document, however I am still seeing the same errors in my methods as I did roughly a month ago. The new HSL library looks to be the exact same as the one I was using previously, so the only change I really made was to the driver. I am still unsure as to what can be causing this, but it seems to be some incompatibility between the Tip Wash and Media Fill Module libraries. Both libraries contain identical function headers for “_InitializeLibrary(…)” and “_CreateObject(…),” which makes me suspect it is something to do with these, but they are both declared as private functions, so in theory there should not be any interference. Is there a libraries team at Hamilton that could look more into this?