Minimize z-move after aspiration

Hi there,

Short question: Is there a way to minimize the z-move after and aspiration? I have a pooling method where this would greatly speed up things, but can only find the option in the dispense step.

best
Dominik

1 Like

Hi Dominik,

Is this for the head or channels?

If so, STAR Pipetting tools has an “AspirateFromFixedHeight” that allows you to set the travel height that could help you. I am not too sure if this speeds it up much, though.

3 Likes

It is for the channels, I will check this! One has to be really carefull to set it back though, right?

Hi @dominik.b ,

STAR Pipetting tools performs the aspiration step for you so there is no lingering effects that you need to remember to set back. Keep in mind that you will need to use a standard dispense step using “Drain Tip in Jet Mode”. You can’t use the Pipetting Tools Dispense steps if you are pooling, because they require the positions to be within the same X coordinates and the Y coordinates to be 9 mm below each well. This requirement is to prevent the channels from crashing into the side walls of the plate to move out of the way for the next channel.

3 Likes

okay, okay, looks like I need to take a look at this ASAP. Just to confirm: My setup is like this:

I have PCR plates sitting on the magnets and have to aspirate from there. Since I can only use 300 uL tips I have to stop the aspiration after 6 columns to do the dispense to a falcon tube and do the remaining 6 columns. Will this work with the tools? I got the method already programmed with regular aspirates, can I simply replace those?

best
Dominik

@dominik.b ,

Ah I see now. I am assuming you are multi-aspirating instead of using single aspiration steps. If this is the case, then I would suggest continuing with the standard aspiration steps that you have implemented. Pipetting Tools assumes single aspiration/dispense use and would lead to additional blowout aspirations between columns. With the MPE and low plate heights, the risk of crashing the channels is quite high as well for unmonitored transfers.

2 Likes

Thanks you for your effort, I’'ll keep it safe :slight_smile:

1 Like

Increase the swap speed of the liquid class you’re using. Won’t stop it from going up all the way every time but it will make it do it a lot faster. Also turning LLD off will speed it up

1 Like

Yes I did this, and tbh the minization would only be pure aesthetics. The method is really fast already.