Mixing before pipetting with worklist

I’m using a worklist to re-array samples and I’d like to mix the sample before aspirating some of the sample and moving it to clean plate. Is there a way to make a liquid class that has a mix before aspirating? Mixing all the plates before pipetting might be easier but it would waste a lot of tips. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to go about this? Thanks!

you will need to add “aspirate/dispense” commands to your liquid class micro-script to mix the liquid prior to executing the aspirate commands,

this would be a custom liquid class

1 Like

This is how I’ve implemented some dynamic mixing with worklist. I just have removed the aspirate step and dispense step from the liquid class and replaced the aspirate with a MicroScript loop to aspirate and dispense. I also have declared variables in the “Formulas” so I can set max aspiration volume and number or cycles based on tip type there. (You could make it so the cycles are variable passed from script but I find that once you have a mixing class that works for a certain tip type you don’t really need to change number of cycles that much)
In this case, I also added a step for a liquid class only designed to be used with 350 tips with samples of variable volumes. It liquid detects and then mixes a volume about 50% of the volume to try and prevent generating bubbles.
Hope this of helps!

2 Likes

That’s awesome, thank you for sharing!

Also just to follow up with your statement,

have removed the aspirate step and dispense step from the liquid class

Does this mean that your dispense microscript is empty?

Yes, it’s all empty (or all the steps are disabled at least)

That’s bold, I like it!