PyLabRobot beginner on Tecan Freedom EVO

Hi all, I am a student who is currently doing projects on SiLA2 communications, and was tasked to create a server for a Tecan Freedom EVO. I managed to come across the PyLabRobot and have some queries regarding this API;

1. Does this API control the Tecan when the script runs or does it generate a file that needs to be put into the Tecan application (like some that I’ve seen online)?

2. I am planning to use a Raspberry Pi to control the Tecan, so does this API use serial ports for connection between the Tecan and Pi?

3. I tried looking around for some examples, but could only find examples for other liquid handlers. Are there any examples I can refer to for the Tecan Freedom EVO?

Thank you all very much for your help!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

It controls the Tecan directly: when you send an API command like aspirate, that action gets executed immediately on the robot.

Yes, you can use an rpi. It uses a USB cable.

I don’t think there are any public examples at this point, but I think I can put you in touch with someone who is also working on using the API for Tecan. I’m pretty sure he’d be willing to share some code and it’d be helpful for you to share experiences here!