System Hierarchies

We are in the process of interfacing our - fairly new - LIMS system with our - very new - automation system, using GBG scheduler. Our workflows run in GMP environment, i.e. we need detailed tracking of all the components.

In this process we have some intense general discussions on system hierarchies, involving questions like:

• Which system provides input for consumables, buffers, test solutions, i.e. everything coming into the workflow and not being in a plate format?
  • Which system should provide the calculations for e.g. dilution series?
  • Which system should be used for process tracking?

What is your experience in having either the LIMS, the Scheduler or a combination of both as controlling system?

• Which system provides input for consumables, buffers, test solutions, i.e. everything coming into the workflow and not being in a plate format?
    - I would have your instruments provide this data to your LIMS as you want to capture what actually happened versus what “should” have happened.
    -If you have a LIMS, I would have it do all the calculations since it’s the system that “should” have all the information.
    -LIMS since is it should have stored all these information.
1 Like

My two cents…

It depends on how your reagent management is setup on LIMS but if you’re in a GMP environment it should probably be tightly controlled so I would ask, “where am I at risk of generating useless CAPA’s down the line?” You have two big options:

1. Not fool proof or super robust imo but have the Liquid Handler feed all of the info to LIMS.

2. Reagent and deck verifications where needed with LIMS to help with setup. A sort of digital “twin” that looks for specific barcodes provided via LIMS and verifies that the deck matches what is expected from the run. If you’re performing reagent checks for usage rate or lot verification or tube/well reservation, you’ll need to do this anyway so you can match actual runtime data on the deck with what’s in LIMS. This verifies that the operator loaded properly QC’d materials and that exact racks/tubes/reagents were loaded.

Ideally, LIMS but if your workflow is “locked in” because it’s GMP, you can let that exist on the liquid handler. Just make sure that you can audit that info later for troubleshooting.

LIMS.

1 Like