Venus 4 - Reinstallation Error (Win 10)

Hi All,

Earlier this week, I suddently was unable to run Method Editor.exe (v4). The process was not showing in Task Manager, and I doublechecked that antivirus software was not blocking the application. To troubleshoot, I went through the steps for uninstalling Venus as noted in the “Remove Hamilton Software” pdf.

Currently, I’m experiencing the error “Hamilton Cannot Legalize Installation” when running the Venus 4 installer. Note: I’m running the installer with administrator rights in Windows 10. The installer is being run from the .iso, version 4.5.0.5217:

Has anyone encountered the Cannot Legalize Installation error during installation? Is there a more detailed log file that I might be able to share to narrow down the issue?

I greatly appreciate any help with this,
-Kent

Edit: Here is the exact error generated during installation:

Hi Kent,

Could you post the installation log file? After a failed installation attempt it should prompt to open the log file. You can upload the file here.

Otherwise it can be found in:
C:\Users\YourWindowsUserID\AppData\Local\Temp

You will need to enable viewing of hidden files to access this folder.

Thanks.

-Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply! The error screen unfortunately didn’t prompt me directly to the log file.

Edit: I was able to upload here in the password-protected folder: Hamilton :: The requested file requires a password.

Log files are saved in “VenusInstallationLogFiles.zip”

Thanks,
Kent

2 Likes

Hi Kent,

Looking through the logs, it seems that SQL server, prerequisites, Phoenix (base VENUS SW components) and the ML_STAR driver components all installed correctly.

It could be possible that the installer isn’t failing until it gets to the very end of the process (asking for additional labware options to be installed etc) when it installs the ‘support software’ package.

Despite the error message, did the installation process yield a HAMILTON folder or any desktop icons? If so, then the support SW installation can be launched from method editor to complete the installation process.

If not we can take a step back and I can provide instructions for a full SW wipe prior to another reinstallation attempt.

Thanks.

-Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the continued support. I’ve found that I’m missing some of the uninstall files for these Hamilton extensions/libraries. I wonder if these may be preventing a “clean” installation of Venus?

You’re correct that the installation process yields the HAMILTON folder and desktop icons. The only program that will not run is Method Editor.

I’ll let you know when I have all the extensions uninstalled and I try one more attempt of a reinstallation.

Thanks,
Kent

Hi Nick,

Update: I think I’ll need the instructions for a full SW wipe since I can’t run method editor to launch the support SW.

Thanks,
Kent

Hi Kent,

You can find full instructions here:

https://download.hamiltonsupport.com/wl/?id=VQY0XAzTfcT7KY29A1YJtZVFwZ7GMOO2&path=Hamilton%20Guides%2FQuick%20Guides%2FQuickGuide_VENUS_ReinstallationAndUpgrades.pdf&mode=grid

Note that these steps (in addition to complete removal of SQL server 2014 and its components) are of key importance

Link to Hamilton SW removal tool

If you encounter further issues after following the above process, it would be prudent to get you in touch with local support as troubleshooting installation issues remotely over the forum would become less efficient.

Let me know how it goes. Thanks.

-Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the instructions. I should have prefaced my post with the fact that I’ve been running the Hamilton Clean Tool before my reinstallation attempts. I may try asking the IT group if they can revert my PC back to a known safe restore point.

Thanks for your help,
Kent