Venus on Vantage: Firmware check failed

Hi,

I’m trying to do a simple aspirate and dispense on a Hamilton Vantage. I’ve heard Venus on Vantage is the easiest way to do this, so that’s what I am using, but if people have been able to do this using Instinct / something else, I’d be happy to use that instead.

My current Venus method is just a super simple single variable assignment, so no actual hardware operations. It runs fine in simulation. Unfortunately, when trying to run this on the robot I get an error saying Firmware check failed at modul C0-RE 96 Head, version on instrument S.1.00.06.01 2022-10-06 (XRP H0) (0x29 - 0x1 - 0x9).

What can I do to resolve / work around this error?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Rick,

When VENUS Run Control is launched for a live (non simulated) run, there is a ‘run analysis’ phase executed prior to any method execution, in which Run Control connects to the VANTAGE and quickly runs a series of configuration checks. One of the checks is to scan which firmware rev is downloaded on each component.

You are running a recent version of MPH 96 version, which may not have existed upon release of the version of VoV you are running. I can help you out via DM.

-Nick

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll DM you.

Hello Nick, I am running into the same issue. Would you be open to sharing what the solution to this is?

Hi @silvioo

There isn’t a cut and dry solution I can easily post to cover all scenarios.

This issue typically occurs in the following scenarios:

• A firmware upgrade is run without updating the accompanying version of VENUS/VoV for that firmware version, or without updating the firmware compatibility list (typically performed by Hamilton service at the time of firmware upgrade).
  • VENUS/VoV reinstall occurs on a system that has had a firmware upgrade (updated firmware compatibility list is reset to default).
  • Software downgrade occurs without firmware downgrade.

Do any of these situations apply? I would need to see traces of the failed run analysis to provide further consult, but generally this type of issue is best handled via your local Hamilton service support group.

If you need any assistance getting pointed in the right direction, let me know!

Thanks.

-Nick

Hi @NickHealy_Hamilton thank you! We acquired these instruments used so it is hard to say which of these is the root cause. The trace file does not really say much more than that. We have a second star in which we are getting the following error on a simple initialize step : The instrument configuration descrived in the instrument configuration file does not match the configuration reported by the instrument. (Wrong setting oof instrument eject position; expected 0, received 13400.). Do you have any ideas about this one?

go into the configuration manager and specify the trash at the correct location. this is separate from what you see in venus.

@rickwierenga awesome, that worked. Finally got the instrument to initialize, unfortunately I’m getting another error towards the end of the initialize step. H0:Main, Cannot reach the defined position. Check if the position reachable for each channel. On transport check if the labware is gfripped in the right direction or plate is fgripped with correct channels.]

1 Like