Any user reviews for the Opentrons Flex?

I’m wondering if there’s anybody here that has an OT Flex that would be willing to write a short review of it, and if you previously owned an OT2 before buying one.

It’s been about five (?) months since the release and I’m curious how the user experience has been for early adopters

8 Likes

@Shinedalgarno I’ll invite some Flex users to the chat! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey there! We have an Opentrons Flex in our lab. I am a new Opentrons user (didn’t use OT-2 much, though our lab has one), but have experience with other liquid handers.

As a new Opentrons user, I’ve really enjoyed starting to use the Flex! So far I’ve just written some simple protocols to prepare plates with reagents for other processes, and made some simple demo protocols. The Opentrons API feels intuitive, the documentation is pretty good, and I even easily made a custom labware using their Custom Labware Creator.

I have run protocols from the Opentrons App and from the touchscreen directly on the robot. Both are easy, but I like how slick the touchscreen is, especially for people who are just getting started as operators.

I think the size is good as it JUST fits on our lab bench without modification (about 27" deep). Feels like the Flex steps up the game from the OT-2 and still manages to be a little more friendly to newbies than some other LH platforms. There’s a lot to still put through the paces (using the grippers, 96-head when it arrives, more complicated protocols), but first impressions from me and the team are very good!

5 Likes

How’s the calibration been so far?

3 Likes

@DanLord recently joined Opentrons so I’m sure he can assist you with reviews and additional help.

1 Like

Thanks @DanielYip - as we’re doing a phased roll out of the Flex, the first users are going to be in N.America. Stay tuned for European users early in the new year.

1 Like

Thanks Daniel! I really like publicly posted reviews without prompting from the companies that make the machines here, it’s great to get a pulse on the raw opinions of the users!

1 Like

Hi @DanLord , is OT2 available in EU/UK yet ?

Hey @Nikolay - the Flex and OT-2 are both available in the EU/UK. We started installing Flex units in January!

1 Like