MCA96 lifts up 1000uL tip boxes

Hi all, has anyone had an issue with their MCA96 picking up 1000uL tip boxes. It’s happened with Fluotics 1000uL tips (LHAB-1000CBR.ST) and it also happening with Tecan Combi tips (30199162), we haven’t had any issues with other volume tips, all of which have been from Fluotics. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue? My first thought it to duplicate the labware definition and try re-teaching the labware, in case the dimensions are the issue. But I’m not sure if this issue is related to the force applied during tip loading and how one might adjust that in the Tecan software.

Are you doing a partial pickup? Have you tried to replace the white SBS box?

1 Like

Just to clarify, this is an MCA96 on an Evo platform and not a fluent?

Common causes:

1. Labware definition. Make sure the cones are perfectly centered within each tip opening.
  2. Head alignment. If the head is cantered or rotated this can cause jamming as you described.
  3. SBS boxes that hold the tips. As Luis suggested, make sure you’re swapping them out occasionally try a new one.

Workarounds

1. You can adjust the downward pressure applied to the tips. It’s involved but it can be done.
  2. You can choose to do a double DiTi pickup. This is involved too.
  3. There’s one more cause/solution I’m forgetting that’s common. Sorry! I wish I had time to go through some notes today but if none of those thing work send me a DM and I can walk you through it
1 Like

Cut a few paper towels/napkins to put underneath the tip box to raise it slightly. This should add only minor additional force during tip pickup without getting too involved with the software. If the additional downward force helps, you will have to make adjustments to the pickup protocol. Get creative if necessary, paper, microplate tip lid, etc. Just make sure the pressure is even underneath the tip box, atop the nest location.

1 Like

I haven’t tried partial tips yet. It’s happening on when the MCA goes to pick up the full 96. The problem occurs with Fluotics tips that come in a box (so it’s a new one every time) and with Tecan combi tips that we’ve put in boxes, so it doesn’t seem to be one particular box that is problematic

@JoeLabAutomatic Thanks for these suggestions. If its the alignment of the head, where does one adjust those settings?

It’s manually adjusted with hex or torx wrenches. You’ll need the MCA reference carrier to do it right and if you’re under warranty or service contract, Tecan helpdesk can walk you through it or send someone to do it. I can’t recommend trying yourself unless you have no other option. If so, DM me please

Ok that’s good to know, I’ll follow up with the help desk. To answer the other question, its a Fluent. It looks like some of the issues are related to the fact that the tip boxes don’t sit nicely in the alps and they can easily shift such that the cones don’t perfectly align.

1 Like