Sending a notification to user during error recovery on Vantage

Is there a way to send an email/slack to user if the Vantage uses a automatic step recovery? For example, if there is insufficient liquid in the well and the error recovery is set to use Bottom for aspirations automatically. I want the user to get a notification with details (plate number, time, and the a warning that it used Bottom). Has anyone done this before? Any examples would be great!

1 Like

@kalomorich

The best way to accomplish this specific behavior would be to parse the step data after aspiration (and dispense) to monitor for any automatically handled errors, and send an email using the HSLUtilLib library.

This post provides a detailed example of handling step data for error monitoring (within that post is also a link to an additional example):

For programmatic sending of emails, check this post:

Also present in the step data will be labware, position, and barcode data (if present). You can program the body of the email to contain whatever you wish.

Thanks.

-Nick

@NickHealy_Hamilton Hey Nick, I read through all these examples and tried to do it but it’s not looking promising. Would you be able to help me if I provided the .pkg file?

Another option you can do if the email notification doesn’t work is use the Report File Store library to create a mapping report that includes what positions/plates used error recovery. That is, if only if you need to keep track of where it happened. I haven’t used it myself yet (although I will soon) but it looks pretty promising.

2 Likes

@kalomorich

I have some follow up questions which will provide some necessary clarification to proceed with remote troubleshooting:

• What in particular isn’t working? Are you having issues with parsing step return data or are automatic emails not being sent?
  • What type of mailbox did you set up for sending of automatic emails? If you are using an email address under your company’s domain you may need to work with your IT department to allow for exceptions if there is strict authentication.
  • What version of VENUS are you using?

To be honest, I would recommend opting for @Nat’s suggestion of recording error data via the provided library, as this records any and all error data for automatic recoveries and will likely be easier to catalog than emails.

Thanks.

-Nick

1 Like